Welcome to the official home of:
Ever since I first donned the mask as The Phantom in the South African revival production of The Phantom of the Opera, I have wanted to record more of the score for posterity. Having been part of the latest successful World Tour again, the idea has resurfaced but with a little extra. In the meantime, there has been a sequel to Phantom: Love Never Dies. Between these two shows, the Phantom saga has been extended with more songs and lush music.
Yes, there are other versions of Phantom on stage and screen but the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber sets this version apart from the rest. Aside from being the world’s most successful musical – even through COVID-19- there is something special about the show. I have recorded three songs before but never managed to do more. Out of context, the other numbers seemed out of place on other albums. Phantom and Love Never Dies are connected in terms of the love affair between the Phantom and Christine. The songs tell their story. The songs are pieces of the puzzle. These songs belong next to each other.
A thought occurred…why not put all of the songs on one album, side by side, to showcase just how beautiful and complete their story is through the songs? It hasn’t been done before. Furthermore, there are a lot of duets between the two. Why not use this opportunity to reunite with some of my favourite Christines from the productions I have been a part of in the past as well as the present? Turns out five special ladies shared my enthusiasm and will perform the beautiful duets with me. My original South African Christines, Robin Botha and Magdalene Minnaar; my original international and current Christine, Claire Lyon as well as two of the alternate Christines from the current World Tour, Clara Verdier and Caitlin Finnie.
In addition to this wonderful line up, arrangements for the 40 piece orchestra are by James Bassingthwaite and Adam Howard has been confirmed to record and engineer the project.
After thinking about it and chatting with trusted friends and colleagues, it was clear that this was an album I simply had to do. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s company, The Really Useful Group, gave me the greenlight and here it is…
PHANTASM: A journey through Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera.
Recording begins in October and the 13 Track album will be available from December onwards. Pre-orders are now open for digital as well as physical copies.
1. The Overture from The Phantom of the Opera
2. The Phantom Of The Opera with the Christines from The Phantom of the Opera
3. The Music Of The Night from The Phantom of the Opera
4. All I Ask Of You with Robin Botha from The Phantom of the Opera
5. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again from The Phantom of the Opera
6. The Point of No Return with Clara Verdier from The Phantom of the Opera
7. The Coney Island Waltz from Love Never Dies
8. ‘Til I Hear You Sing from Love Never Dies
9. Look With Your Heart with Magdalene Minnaar from Love Never Dies
10. Beneath A Moonless Sky with Claire Lyon from Love Never Dies
11. Once Upon Another Time with Caitlin Finnie from Love Never Dies
12. Love Never Dies from Love Never Dies
13. Learn To Be Lonely from The Phantom of the Opera Motion Picture